How to Order a Side of Beef
July 13, 2021
Ever thought about investing in one of our Beef Sides but hesitated, wondering "how does it actually work?" Here's a step-by-step breakdown of how we fill 1/4 & 1/2 Beef Side orders for our customers.
Unlike other farms, we've streamlined the process with straightforward pricing and simple cut instructions. We handle the drop off, pick up and all butcher shop communications because ordering a Beef Side shouldn't result in more work on your to-do list. Here's how the process breaks down:
- Determine how big of a side you need
- Place order online for preferred availability date.
- We receive your order, double check our processing schedule and charge your card for the required deposit
- Receive first email from Maddy, Online Order Coordinator, with a link to our cut instructions form
- Fill out online form to submit cut instructions
- Receive second email from Maddy to schedule the final payment and delivery
- Make final payment 7 days before the availability date.
- Watch for communication via text or email from Kassi to finalize delivery or pick up time the week of your scheduled delivery.
- Your beef is paid for and picked up at the butcher shop 2-3 days before the availability date on your order.
- We pick, sort and pack your beef side into brown paper bags & label with the contents.
- Your side is held in our freezers until delivery day.
- Delivery or pick up day!
- Pack the pre-sorted cuts into your freezer
How big of a side do you need?
Every household answers this question differently. Check out this post comparing the size of the 1/4 and 1/2 Beef sides. Often first time buyers choose to start with a 1/8 Beef to gauge how fast they will use it, how they like having a large quantity on hand and how much freezer space it takes. Usually 1/8 Beef Sides have a shorter pre-order wait. A family of 4 who eat beef 3x/week using about 4 lb/week could expect to go through a 1/4 Beef (90-100 lb) in about 6-8 months. Sometimes the limiting factor is your freezer space. At minimum, we recommend a 7 cu ft chest freezer for a 1/4 Beef and a 12 cu ft chest freezer for a 1/2 Beef. A 1/8 Beef can fit in your home freezer and does not require a standalone freezer, but it will fill the freezer 3/4 of the way.
How do I order online?
- Visit https://bluesilobeef.com/store... "Pre-Order"
- See your Availability Date (or choose a date further in the future, if available)
- Fill out your contact information
- Add a card for payment. This will be used to pay the required deposit. You will have the option to make other payment arrangements for the balance or use a different card.
- Click "Place Order"
What is the "Availability Date?"
This is the earliest possible day your order could be ready for pick up, usually 2-3 days following the final cutting & packaging at the butcher shop. Usually we schedule your delivery or pick up within the week following this date.
What happens after I place my order?
You should see an email confirmation arrive in your inbox and we receive a notification that you've placed a pre-order. Kassi double checks the processing schedule and pre-order reservation list to ensure we aren't overbooked. When that's confirmed, Maddy begins the scheduling process. We prefer email communication for the scheduling process so everything is documented in one place that anyone on our team can access.
What are cut instructions?
One benefit to buying a side of beef is having the option to customize it to best fit your family's preferences. Using the standard cut list as a starting point, we have you fill out our online form and will adjust your order's cut list to reflect your preferences. Based on these choices, we instruct the butcher on how to specifically cut the beef your order is coming from. Maddy fills out your custom order sheet for us to use when it's time to pack your order.
What choices do I have?
See a sample of the 1/4 Beef Cut Instructions form HERE
See a sample of the 1/2 Beef Cut Instructions form HERE
When is my final payment due?
Final payment is due 7 days before your availability date. We can use the same card your deposit was charged to or email you a link to pay with another card.
How do I get my order?
If you live in our delivery area, home delivery is included in the price of your beef side. Home deliveries are typically made on the Wednesday following your date available, between 4:30-6 pm. You can also choose to pick up at the Farm Store when we are open.
What happens with my order after the butcher shop cuts & packages it?
Following a 2 week hang period, the carcass is cut, packaged and flash frozen at the butcher shop. Usually we pay and pick up the beef 1-2 days after and transport it back to the farm in our mobile freezers. From there, Ian counts and sorts the cuts organizing them to go into your order or into our freezers. Using the custom order sheet for your specific order, Ian pulls all the cuts and packages them into our signature brown paper bags. Each bag is labelled with your name, delivery method and bag count. After it's bagged, your order is stored in our freezers until your delivery or pick up date.
How is my order delivered?
I (Kassi) will be the one to deliver your beef side order. Expect a text or email reminder within a few days before delivery with more information. Your bags will be packed in our mobile coolers from the holding freezer and delivered right to your door.
What's the best way to organize my freezer?
I would suggest leaving most of the ground beef packaged in the brown bags on one side or the bottom. You can read some other helpful tips HERE.
And that's all there is to it! Our goal is to make the process straightforward and easy for you.